Q:  What is the Western Undergraduate Exchange?

A:  The Western Undergraduate Exchange is a student exchange program coordinated by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) and administered for Arizona by the Arizona Board of Regents. Through the Western Undergraduate Exchange, Arizona residents may enroll in certain programs at the two-year and four-year public colleges listed in this brochure. Western Undergraduate Exchange tuition is 150 percent of the host institution’s regular resident tuition. In all cases, Western Undergraduate Exchange tuition is considerably less than nonresident tuition.


Q:  Which states participate?

A: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming


Q:  What Programs are available?

A:  Many undergraduate fields are available to Western Undergraduate Exchange students at the participating colleges and universities. Some institutions have opened their entire curriculum on a space-available or first-come, first-serve basis; others offer only designated programs. Go to this link to find colleges that accept Arizona students. 


Q: Where can I learn about a wider range of available programs?

A: To learn of the wide range of programs available, consult the WICHE Western Undergraduate Exchange website at http://wue.wiche.edu/


Q:  What determines eligibility?

A:  Participating institutions require evidence of academic performance, such as ACT/SAT test scores and high school GPA, or place other limits on Western Undergraduate Exchange enrollment.  Consult the Western Undergraduate Exchange website for details.


Q:  How do I get an application for admission?

A:  If interested, apply for admission and Western Undergraduate Exchange tuition status directly to the institution(s) of your choice. Mark prominently on the institution’s application form that you seek admission as a Western Undergraduate Exchange student.


Q:  How does the Western Undergraduate Exchange work?

A:  The Western Undergraduate Exchange is a "decentralized" program. Therefore, the student applies to the institution of choice (listed in this brochure), indicating that Western Undergraduate Exchange status is desired, and the institution responds directly to the student. The applicant obtains application materials from, and submits the application for admission to, the institution he or she desires to attend. The institution may admit or deny admission to any applicant. The student must mark prominently on the application for admission that he or she seeks admission as a Western Undergraduate Exchange student.  (Do not apply as an out-of-state student and expect to receive the Western Undergraduate Exchange tuition rate after you are admitted.  You must apply for the Western Undergraduate Exchange rate at the time of application.)

When admitted as a Western Undergraduate Exchange student, the student will pay 150 percent of the institution’s regular resident tuition (i.e., 50 percent more than resident tuition), plus any fees that all students are required to pay.
The full charge (tuition plus fees) applicable in any specific program can be determined from the catalog of the institution or from the admission office. A student may continue to enjoy Western Undergraduate Exchange tuition status as long as he or she is enrolled in the program to which admitted and meets any other criteria for continued participation set by the institution. Change to another program (in the same or a different institution) may be made at the reduced Western Undergraduate Exchange level only if the new program is also open to Western Undergraduate Exchange students and the change is approved by the institution. A few institutions have extended the Western Undergraduate tuition privilege to eligible students already enrolled. However, this is not a requirement of the program.
Each state determines which institutions and programs it will make available to students in the Western Undergraduate Exchange. Eligibility for admission and for Western Undergraduate tuition is determined by each participating institution. If admitted as a Western Undergraduate Exchange student, the student may not petition for instate residency status.

Q:  Where can I obtain further information?

A: Information about specific programs in the Western Undergraduate Exchange may be obtained from the admissions office of the participating institutions.

 General information may be obtained from the Arizona Board of Regents WICHE Certifying Office at 602-229-2500, or the WICHE Main Office in Boulder, Colorado at 303-541-0210.

 The most current information is available at http://wue.wiche.edu/